Murphys Chapel United Methodist Church
According to records passed to us by our ancestors, the actual beginning of Murphys Chapel was in the home of Robert A. Murphy about 1855. Very soon there was not space enough in the Murphy's home, so he petitioned the Ala. Conference for a preacher and meetings were moved to a brush arbor.
On 12/16/1859 a two-acre plot of land was purchased, and a log building was erected by slaves. It had a dirt floor and a large fireplace for heat. In 1860 Mr. Murphy died and other leaders moved away but Murphys Chapel remained flourishing in the service of the Lord and growing in membership. Later the log building burned, and a frame building was erected. There were two front doors; one
for men and one for women.
In 1890 a dispute caused the building of another church, Brooks Chapel. Both churches were active until 1950, a period of 60 years. By this time both churches had lost members and were beginning to discuss consolidation. Because of the cemetery Murphys Chapel was chosen to become the surviving church.
In 1951 the old frame building was torn away, and a brick building was erected. By the time this building was debt-free, the congregation was dreaming of a fellowship room. In June 1972 Pugh Davis, J.W. Coston and J.G. Townsend arranged for the building of a fellowship room with kitchen area and bathroom. In 1988 Pugh Davis gave land and a parsonage was built. Very soon the fellowship room was growing too small, so once again a loving united effort was exhibited, and the fellowship room was extended to triple the original size, with two more bathrooms.
It would seem God has been present in this little Rural
Methodist church during the last 145 years. Submitted by: Virginia Peacock, Rt. 6, Troy, AL 36081
Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
We love visitors, so feel free to visit any Sunday.
9315 County Rd 7708, Troy, Alabama 36081